Sherrys Upper and Lower Forty

Sherrys Upper and Lower Forty

Week of Thanksgiving 2010

Week of Thanksgiving 2010

Week of 8 22 10

Week of 8 22 10
Beans are growing great

Sunday, January 2, 2011

To Everything There Is a Season

There is a general philosophy among people about a "saving remnant" of people, religious views, and other things. I am beginning to believe that is true of gardens.

Many things winter over like onions, garlic, shallots and the like. In my case, my late planted sugar snap pea seeds are poking their little stems up in the seven grow boxes that were planted in late October or early November. They just seem to be thumbing their little stem noses at the cold and are trying to tell us that spring is around the corner.

We all know that spring is not until late March and for some of the United States it can be as late as May or June. What the sugar snaps are showing is hope and faith that the seasons will change and we will be back on the production mode.

Now,everything is not like that. I learned that cauliflower is cold sensitive and did not fair well in our very cold, Atlanta area winter. Many people keep saying that it shouldn't be this cold here, but my husband and I grew up in this area and we remember many frigid winters.

I believe that the weather is more cyclical then we want to believe and I think some of the global warming is a cycle. That is not to say that we do not all need to contribute to a more green society over our great planet.

My oldest daughter and I were discussing growing heirloom tomatoes and an anti-inflammatory diet today. I was amazed by her in depth knowledge on the subject of the diet and definitely think she is on to something. She loves heirloom tomatoes much like her mother does and we talked about the grafting project I plan to start soon. Heirlooms require a little more tending and give us back the most flavorful fruits, but their flaws are they are less disease and fungi resistant and do not have the stamina of hybrids.

I am so glad that my daughters and sons share my love of the garden. They have been fun to watch grow into wonderful adults with varied interests, just as I watch my vegetables grow in the garden.

Isn't life a wonderful thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment