Sherrys Upper and Lower Forty

Sherrys Upper and Lower Forty

Week of Thanksgiving 2010

Week of Thanksgiving 2010

Week of 8 22 10

Week of 8 22 10
Beans are growing great

Saturday, January 15, 2011

So Much To Digest

The garden plans for this year involve so many different items. What to grow, who to buy the seeds from, how we are going to get the proper germination, what we plan to change in our potting mix and on and on.

As I so often say, my garden is my giant science experimentation. I am a scientist at heart and wanted to be a doctor. You ask why am I a certified public accountant. It is because I worked and went to school and could not afford to do all of the science an undergraduate degree in microbiology would have required.

Back in the days of the dinosaurs, when I was a little girl, we did not know from student loans and the information was not so readily accessible. It is unfortunate because I love science. I obviously passed this gene along to my youngest son because he loves science and math and is going to be a nuclear engineer.

As an avid reader of both pleasure books and non-fiction books, I devour what knowledge I can get and love to pass it along to others. I love to try new things and I am the mad scientist in my garden and my kitchen.

Baking and cooking are kind of science projects on their own. It requires measurement and chemical reactions in order to bake.

We know some of the changes we are going to make. One is we are going to make a rack for the squash to lean on and make the racks during the winter. They are designed out of wood and metal concrete reinforcing wire or the pvc garden trellis. When the squash plant grows through the 2 or 3 inch hole, their tender body can lie on the wire. This will allow the fruit to drop down and harvesting will be a matter of clipping the squash free from the vine.

We have decided we want more substantial plant supports and will have bases made so that we can incorporate some of the Grow Box support on our bases. We just need to help support our healthy plants better.

I love the ability to have a garden anywhere and one of my clients madee some Garden Boxes a present to her gardener husband. I then made three of the Grow Boxes a gift to one of my daughters and son-in-laws. When you love having dirt under your nails and being outside in the fresh air, it is hard not to be outside.

If you can not

No comments:

Post a Comment